I know, I know, you can hardly contain your excitement…. Especially as we horror minded people wait all year for the outside reality of the mainstream to meet our internal reality. Now that we’ve made it to the day of the year where the carpet matches the drapes, it’s time for an admission…
You’re kinda of a Monster Lover, aren’t you?
Now, I know you don’t normally go around and say that out loud to people… Makes for some uncomfortable dinner time conversation. And I’m not saying you’re doing anything wrong either. This isn’t the opening to a recovery intervention. To paraphrase Billy Joel, we like you just the way you are.
But maybe you’re just not sure about your status. I mean, it’s not everyday you get slapped with the stark, cold reality of your addiction.
Fear not! We’re here to help! Especially when it comes to slapping you with stark, cold reality… We horror addicts live to serve.
So, without further ado, the 15 reasons you might be a Monster Lover in 2015:
- If you’ve every been caught lurking around the Dollar Tree on Oct. 1st looking to score some brand new, skull studded, black paper plates… You might be a Monster Lover.
- If you have two packages of matching skull napkins in a closet at home from last year’s Halloween party… You might be a Monster Lover.
- If you are already planning your Dec. 4th Krampus viewing party…. You might be a Monster Lover.
- If you have purchased Krampus Holiday cards… You might a Monster Lover. Or you’ve spent too many dark nights in Bavaria, which is almost the same thing. (Either way, no card exchange this year, please!)
- If you are already making bets that Crimson Peak will end up ripping Tom Hiddleston’s million-dollar-face clean off his skull at some point… You might be a Monster Lover (Or you hate Superhero-themed blockbusters. Or some combination of the two).
- If you’ve had the random thought “That whole meat dress thing was just an elaborate audition ploy by Gaga to get on American Horror Story…” You might be a Monster Lover (you cynic).
- If you at any point wished that dress was made of fresh Kardashian… You might be a Monster Lover.
- If you can’t walk by a dollar movie bin without digging in it for old-school, black-and-white horror movies… You might be a Monster Lover.
- If you did the Nae-Nae in celebration when you found a double DVD copy of both Cat People and The Curse of the Cat People… You might a Monster Lover ( And, without a doubt, have impeccable taste in movies and are extremely culturally aware).
- If your spell-check knows how to correctly change Cthulhu… You might be a Monster Lover.
- If you can correctly spell Cthulhu without spell check and without peeking… You might be a Monster Lover (and no asking Siri).
- If you’ve ever spent an afternoon at work considering he most efficient method of destroying a Zombie Horde only using stuff from CVS… You might a Monster Lover.
- If your final answer came down to a case full of Aqua Net and 20 Bic Lighters… You might be a Monster Lover (and you will likely survive the Zombie Apocalypse).
- If you plan to stay in this Halloween and take the Horror Movie Marathon Challenge from The Horror Addicts Guide to Life (plug plug, plug)…. You might be a Monster Lover (as well as smart, attractive and in good company. Bonus points if you sneak in the debut of “Ash v. Evil Dead”).
And the Number One way to know if you might be a Monster Lover:
- If you at any time in your life have had cats named “Louie,” “Lestat,” “Claudia,” “Anne” or “Memnoch” either separately or all once… Well, congrats, my friend, you are a Monster Lover and probably can make a mean pot of tea and/or a batch of gumbo.
J. Malcom Stewart