“Happily ever after” is for children. This book prefers to evoke the grim warnings of our oldest fables. We are seeking frightening fairytales, fables, and folklore. We want to feature your own new tales or new takes on old classics. Stories of seelie and unseelie alike. Are the things that go bump in the night there to help or harm us?
Submitted stories should deal with fairies or fairy tale settings, and must also be considered horror, evoking a classic fear and dread reminiscent of the fables of old. If you are submitting a new take on a classic fairy tale, the original story and characters must be in the public domain. The setting can be our world in the past, present, or future, or a fictional setting, or the exploration of both. Stories must be Gothic, Horror, Steampunk, Gaslamp Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Horror Romance, or have a horror element of some kind.
- Font either Courier or Times New Roman.
- Double spaced, font size 11 or 12 point.
- Your manuscript must be in either DOC or RTF format.
- 1st page header to state: author name, mailing address, email address, and word count.
- Following pages header to state: author name, story name, and page number.
- In the body of the email, give us:
- 100 words or less bio about you.
- One sentence explaining the story attached. Your elevator pitch.
- In the subject of the email state: ONCE UPON A SCREAM/Author Name/Story Title
- Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No previously printed work and no simultaneous submissions.
Deadline: October 31st, 2015, 11:59pm PST
Length: 2,000-8,000 words, ideal length 5,000
Payment:$5.00 USD + digital contributor copy
Return time: Final decisions will not be made until AFTER the submission close date (10/31/15). You should expect a return within 3 months of the submission close date. If you do not receive an email stating your manuscript was received within two weeks of submission, please send a polite query to: email@example.com
For any other questions, please send an email to:firstname.lastname@example.org