Old-school goth… ah… the words send shivers up my spine. For any of you who were in the goth scene in the 80’s & 90’s this music holds a special place in your hearts. Clubs with beds plush with red velvet and chains hanging from the ceiling. Industrial light shows mixed with digitized voices and leather. Men in long skirts and bigger hair than the girls. The next morning raccoon eyes from forgetting to remove your layers of black eyeliner. Some of us still live in this world and the music of that time cannot be forgotten. Some people instantly think of the more popular tracks from bands like The Cure, Nine Inch Nails, Concrete Blonde, Ministry. Others take the lesser known road… Type O Negative, Christian Death, Rosetta Stone. Whatever your old school goth road may be, we want to know. What are your favorite old-school goth songs?
Here are my top ten, never to be forgotten (by me at least), old-school goth songs. For those of you who were there – enjoy. For those of you who missed it, you’ve got some listening to do, baby.
- Vampire’s Cry by Nosferatu – Sometimes I hear that whisper in my dreams.
- Sugar Babies by P. Vampire – I recently had to rip this from the CD because I can’t find it anywhere to download – what a loss to the community! LOVE this song about a creepy arsonist man watching suburban ballet girls dance – and then burning them up! Morbid, yes, but this song makes it so fun to listen to.
“They’re all burned up and their mommies are sad… Sugarbabies.
The man in the wall gets away in a cab… Sugarbabies.
The teacher’s on fire, she’s beyond recognition… Sugarbabies.
Itty bitty femurs all shriveled up like raisins… Sugarbabies.”
I’ve posted the lyrics here in hopes of waking the dead. P. Vampire, if you’re out there, I love you! Email me!
- Paint it Black by Mephisto Walz – An anthem I guess for our generation as this goth band remakes the 1966 song by the The Rolling Stones.
- Chain by Switchblade Symphony – Just beautiful.
- Iron Helix by Xorcist – Wakes the mutated robot-alien inside me.
- Severina – The Mission UK – This has a special place in my heart because I found it after I wrote Severina, my character from Night’s Knights. She is such a strong and beautiful woman and this song appeals to the spiritual side of her when Markham and Julien leave her alone at the castle in England. She sort of goes crazy being alone, but this leads to the challenge to create the perfect vampire.
- The Days of Swine and Roses by My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult – “Christians, Zombies, Vampires!” This is me and my husband’s song.
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by The Damned – “Welcome to the underworld… Two for the price of one.” I love this video because it’s in the vampire heyday. I saw them in the 90’s and they were much older – but still had that great sound and a sexy new devilgirl guitarist. Worth the wait!
- Deception by Cruxshadows – Love the hair! Something about this song gets under my skin and makes me feel dirty. Analyse that!
- Test My Reaction by Spahn Ranch – Love this song because it’s just goofy. This is my happy goth song. Not sure why there is no video, but I found the audio on their MySpace page. People still go there?
Here are some suggestions from our other staff members:
Dawn Wood I love anything by The Cure, Siouxsie, Depeche Mode, the Smiths, New Order. Those are my old goth song standbys.
Dan Shaurette Shakespeare’s Sister “Stay”, Bauhaus “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”, and Siouxsie and the Banshees “Peek-a-boo”, Inkkubus Sukkubus “Heart of Lilith” and just about everything on that album.
What are your favorite old school goth songs?